Tips on Making Home Safe and Accessible
Most adults want to age in their current home or stay in their own homes as they get older- but have concerns or worry about safety, getting around, or other daily activities.
Here are a few changes that could make your home more comfortable and safer to live in as you or a loved one to continue to live independently.
1. Don't use area rugs and check that all carpets are fixed firmly to the floor.
2. Install grab bars near toilets and in the tub or shower.
3. Replace handles on doors or faucets with ones that are comfortable for you to use.
4. Place light switches at the top and bottom of stairs and remember to turn on nightlights
5. Reduce fall hazards: place no-slip strips or non-skid mats on the time and wood floors or surfaces that may get wet.
6. Install a ramp with handrails to the front door.